January 15, 2008

Weekly Screenings - American Gangster

I'm in the mood to do some movie screenings this week. Crapping about 5 movies in a week is an underestimation of the actual visual load that comes through my pipeline. And yes, you're lucky. You'll get the fresh stash before you head to the cinemas.

Here's the first click on American Gangster.



I could never have expected Denzel Washington to be playing the villain. And here he is, playing the role of a mafia leader's driver cum apprentice in Harlem. After the death of the man everyone in Harlem looked up to, the underground kingdom crashed. Then, Denzel Washington inherited his mentor's teachings and built his own "company" from scratch. This is quite amazing for a true story and Denzel has done a great job playing the man crashing someone else's head into a grand piano. That is, literally, a cold-blooded man.

Somehow, Russell Crowe's sloppy cop look does not impress me very much. Period. It's enjoyable for 2.5 hours. Then, it's the end of story and nothing much came along. I enjoy myself even more watching the movies I pick at home. Yes, I'm that bit hard to please.

Next in line will be... I have not decided yet.

No comments: