March 18, 2008

The Kite Runner



I know many of you might have watched this movie at film festivals, advanced screening etc. But I still think that, it's worth a mention here.

I learned about this story when it made its big break as best seller in the states. Having the pre-assumption that the Americans were always appealed by the exotic eastern tales that came abundant in market after the Afghan war. It was their atonement for their government invading the middle east for political agenda.

6 years later, the movie adaptation of the story is released. I was refrained from watching it for the same reason. I was vain enough not to be as vain as others to hunt for the same pot of gold. Eventually, I succumbed to the writer's strike and had to dig of something to get by.



The story is about 2 childhood friends that turned out to be blood-related. Amir, whose father has kept the secret of his half-brother all his life, answered to a calling from home when Hassan, his half-brother died and left a son in Kabul alone. The story focuses on his inner journey to define his identity after trying to be like his father when he's just different on his own for good. The climax unravels near the end of the movie when he finally pushed himself to recognize a mistake he made as a child and redeemed his sin by making amends to Hassan's son.

I would say the cinematography is exceptional and there are quite a few memorable scenes - Amir reading letter written by Hassan after self-learning writing for a long time, young Amir insulting young Hassan by throwing rotten fruits at him in order to overcome his own guilt, the early scene when Amir asking Hassan if he would eat dirt as he requested...and a lot more. What lies in my memory will be the scenery of Kabul before Russian invasion. I know it's a make-shift from a few unknown locations in China. However, back then, you do see hope and joy in Afghans.

Overall, the pace of the story is perfect but the core plot only appears after 1 hour 30 minutes which is 75% of the length. The story in front might be arranged to present Amir's personality and inner battle but his journey in Kabul is not explored with more details as it should.



The history has evolved, the country has changed but the story has captured the essence of humanity that we should not forget. Love, friendship, and loyalty.

Watch it if you can. Read it if you can. Do both if you can.

I'll get a copy of hardcover soon.

Keep you updated.

Ratings: 7/10

1 comment:

musyanic said...

Just came back from the cinema to watch this movie.
Was in a dilemma whether to watch it at this time, coz I'm still halfway in the book, and I thought I won't continue to read it after I watch the movie. In the end I gave in, don't want to miss watching this movie in cinemas.

After the first 5 minutes in the movie, I decided to finish the book. They missed out some details in the movie, which are reasonable, as it's impossible to stuff everything in a movie. But the movie is still nice.

Parts I like most: The reading letter part, the fruits throwing part, and the last part, when Amir say back the same sentence to Hassan's son: "I'll do that a thousand times for you" (or something like that)