June 19, 2008

Take the unbeaten path to a cemetry today. No joking.



On my way back from Sugardough Panificio e Patisserie, G asked me to drop by Melbourne General Cemetery which she claimed to be...I can't recall how she recommended the place. But, with my courage as immense as roaring lions, I just jumped off the tram at the tram stop across the road and then off visiting my long lost friends.

The cemetery was separated into sections based on religion streams. There was also a separate section for child's cemetery, which was quite upsetting. Somehow, when you actually stepped on the vicinity, the serenity just calmed you down and you just blended into the silence of the place. I believe that's the major difference from the creepy Chinese cemetery that I see for myself or from movies. Death should be a relief from vanity and materialism, however, in certain religion or culture, the living will be conceptualized to have fear and respect for the dead so that the dead will bring them good and no harm.

Anyway, it's been a interesting experience, especially a text message came in from a friend abroad as below:
" HEY YOU, R U ALIVE? How is Aus?........"

Right. I was so alive but everything just felt surreal that I just left the place not long after a couple of young lovers came out from no where.

Anyway, I did not bump into Sir Redmond Barry, the Acting Chief Justice who sentenced Ned Kelly to hang; or famous Australian explorers, Burke & Wills. Everything was great, and you should drop by the place some time.

Here's how you can go there:

No comments: