June 18, 2008

Firefox 3

I shall not exaggerate by calling today a day of change to internet usage pattern. But, somehow, there will be a significant change to how we perceive internet browsers. Yes, it's Download Firefox Day and I've done just that. Deeply believe that web browsing trend should be driven by users themselves, this new release just thrilled me.

From end user's perspective, I noticed a few changes after using it for an hour. I have yet to test it on the sites that are only-IE-friendly. I hope Firefox 3 will tackle the flaw that boycotts non-IE browser.

What I like:

1. Smoother flow in page switch. This could be the result of memory usage improvement that's been a key feature in this release.

2. Revamped bookmark feature - New way of tagging a page for bookmark, auto-complete of address field according to page name or website address, as how you bookmark the site, etc.

Then, I googled "Amazing Firefox" and stumbled upon the post by Mozilla's Software Engineer, codenamed Pavlov. Please give Pavlov's write-up a read. The post is about the improvement made on Firefox 3 Memory Usage. It's a geek-friendly post involving a lot of technical jargon. Since it was posted in March 08, it sure did give me a clearer perspective on the key improvements to be expected that I might not notice.

In all, I'm happily using my Firefox 3. Are you? Regardless the fact of you helping them make it to Guinness Record or not, get your Firefox 3 today.

No comments: