February 10, 2008

Dedicated to "Dedication"



Sundance festival just ended a few weeks back and it got me into the mood of digging into rare indie movies. "Juno" was one of the rare finds. But it was an easy discovery since it was widely loved by mainstream market. I can't recall how I found this movie. Most probably I was looking through NT.info's list as usual, and user reviews in imdb.com that claimed Mandy Moore's role - Lucy - is actually quite good too. I was convinced by vanity of polished public review.

As you might have perceived from the poster, Dedication is a romantic drama. But it comes with a wee bit of dry humour. It's definitely a good dig for those that are into "Garden State" especially a version with excess romanticism, with great soundtrack. (Nick, I'm saying this to you.)

I like the imaginary scenes whenever Billy's stressed with some problems in life, his dead writing partner for children's book, Rudy, will come alive and give him a few very wry words of wisdom that help him to overcome those problems. Billy is just a weird character with a lot of funny phobias, which he manages to face as the story progresses.

Lucy is the typical female character with charisma that overturns Billy's weird-ness. I wouldn't say it's an easy act since she manages to play the role with an amazingly natural flair and maturity.

Still, I like Billy's character - a cocky and weird introvert that breaks out of his shell in the end. In fact, I love this movie & its soundtrack ( they feature Cat Power's Metal Heart!) very much - one of the very few romance movies that get my green light.

Anyway, this might not turn up in big screens so you have to use your sources.

No comments: