December 5, 2010

Never Let Me Go

I always have this perception that Japanese authors possess extremely twisted minds, writing surreal stories, creating melancholic tones in each plot that kills all happiness in the imagination. They are good, I have no doubt about that. At times, I saw a Japanese name and I would prompt to assume," Yes, yet another Japanese writer."

Whatever that stereotype contains, it does not change the originality of some amazing works that even the western world could not help but copy. Err, I mean Ju-On and Ring. Of course they are more, you can quote me for that. I just need to spend some time to dig out some facts, which I know exist for sure.

Anyway, I just watched a film, adapted from original book "Never Let Me Go" by Japanese-born British writer, Kazuo Ishiguro. When I came across his books in the past, I always thought of them as one of the many translated Japanese books, not knowing that he writes in English all along. What a blasphemy. He's actually quite something.





The film has the usual flair of British drama, simple, melancholic and minimalist. It's just beautiful.

No spoiler here. But please do watch the film or the book - one of the two and not both. People tend to compare a book to adaptation film, vice versa. I've watched the film and have no intention to read the book. I suppose, a good story deserves singularity of respect and not being torn apart by multiple perspectives from different presentations.

No comments: