June 21, 2010

Greatest attempt ever



My colleagues told me about the cycling path that connects one end of Netherlands all the way up north to Amsterdam and maybe further. So, this piece of information has inspired me to cycle ( not to Amsterdam of course ) to Noordwijk. I also found a good excuse to drive me completing this mission, by visiting a friend that stays there currently. However, due to the weather ( yes, weather dictates a lot of activities in m life these days ), I have been postponing this trip and also conveniently replacing it with the many parties, weekend activities, excursions, picnics, beach walks, lazing in the many parks in The Hague.

Finally, I had this great weekend where I really wanted to commit to this trip despite my slumping fitness from too much vacation. Also, a colleague's invitation almost seduced me off the track. Come on, to learn pottery ?? How interesting is that! Thanks to me strong will, I disregarded the weather forecast this time, and headed straight to Scheveningen, Wassenar, Katwijk then finally to Noordwijk.

Given that the destination "sounds" very close by, I had my muesli and headed off without food and water supply. Silly idea. As I started cycling, I couldn't stop cursing for not doing it sooner because it could have built my endurance for so many things else that I wanted to do in near future. Let's say, kite-surfing, surfing, marathon running and many other things in my list! My assumption about the cycle path was wrong - I initially thought that Netherlands, being Les Pays-Bas, should be flat and ... easy to cycle. In reality, there were a good mix of slopes and winding roads passing through the dunes.

When I hit Wassenar and almost lost my way at the many cross junctions in the woods, the situation motivated me to keep on going instead. Then I reached Katwijk, which was 70% of the journey. The part from Katwijk to Noordwijk was a struggle for me given that my energy was well spent without hydration and my endurance was just lacking. No, I neither saw God, nor the guiding light. I was just merely enraged that I swore to myself to finish the whole trip since so many others ( even elderly folks! ) could have done it. I was not going to give up because I only had a lousy city bike with single speed gear to get past the slopes in the dunes.

At the end of the day, the amazing scenery was the best payback I could ever ask for. Then, there were also discoveries in Noordwijk when I visited my friend - beautiful garden flea markets, tiny towns with lighthouse and churces, bungalows and the mansion belonging to Heineken's owner. You do know Heineken, the green label beer that tastes horrible? Not mentioning, I was even in a Swimming Camp for kids. How did I end up there? Until next post.






Information:
Route Details
About Noordwijk

No comments: